Our friends at Wheels24 have shared National Hijack Prevention Academy's (NHPA) hijacking-hotspots. The piece reveals the highest targetted highjacking areas in Cape Town, Pretoria, Johannesburg, and Durban.
Cape Town - The National Hijack Prevention Academy (NHPA) has released a list of hijacking-hotspots in some major SA cities.
The organisation's latest list shows hotspots in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban.
How prevalent is vehicle crime in SA? Carjacking has increased by 14.3% in all provinces, according to the 2015/16 annual crime survey released by the South African Police (SAPS). Carjacking was highest in Gauteng.
Arrive Alive's Johan Jonck said: "The Crime Statistics released by the Police for 2015-2016 reveals an alarming upwards trend in numbers of carjackings. It is important to share with our road users where the so called 'hotspots' are. These are areas where these incidents occur with more regularity.
"We would like to emphasise the need for caution among road users and also offer some suggestions to increase vigilance on our roads. Even though there are no guarantees to safety - we belive road users could be safer when being more vigilant on the road and by driving non-distracted."
Hijacking Hotspots - Cape Town:
Voortrekker Road, Bellville, Parow
• Voortrekker Road between Bellville and Parow.
Military Road, Prince George Drive
• Corner of Military Road and Prince George Drive.
St Stephens Road
• Be alert when driving along St Stephens Road.
Alice Street, Voortrekker Road
• Be alert when driving along Alice Street, especially near Voortrekker Road.
• Be alert when travelling along Station Road.
• Be alert when travelling along Klipfontein Road.
Prestwich Road, Ebenhezer
• The corner of Prestwich Road and Ebenhezer.
• Be alert when travelling along Vangaurd Drive.
• Beware when travelling on the R300 under the bridges towards the N1 highway.
Hijacking spots - Pretoria:
Beyers Naude Drive, Paul Kruger Street
• Beyers Naude Drive and Paul Kruger Street.
• The R55 in Erasmia.
Burnett Street, Delfi Avenue, Garsfontein Road
• Be alert at the following streets, Burnett Street, Delfi Avenue and Garsfontein Road.
• Be aware at traffic lights on Stormvoel.
• Be aware at traffic lights on Watermeyer Street.
Nelson Mandela Drive
• Be alert at traffic lights on Nelson Mandela Drive.
Lynwood Road, Simon Vermooten
• The crossing at Lynwood Road and Simon Vermooten.
Lynwood Road, Hans Strijdom
• The crossing at Lynwood Road and Hans Strijdom.
• Be alert at traffic lights on Walker Street.
• Be alert at traffic lights on Duncan Street.
University Road , Lynwood Road
• The corner of University Road and Lynwood Road.
Rigel Avenue, N1
• The Rigel Avenue off ramp from off the N1.
Simon Vermooten Road, Pretoria Street
• The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Pretoria Street.
Simon Vermooten Road, Farrow Street
• The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Farrow Street.
Simon Vermooten Road , Lynwood Road
• The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Lynwood Road.
Lynwood Road, N1
• The Lynwood Road on ramp from the N1.
Hans Strydom, N4
• The Hans Strydom off ramp off the N4 highway.
Hans Strijdom, R21
• The intersection between Hans Strijdom and the R21.
• The Atterbury off ramp off the N1.
• Be alert at crossings by Pretorius Street.
Schoeman Street, Duncan
• The crossing at Schoeman Street and Duncan.
Schoeman Street, Hilda
• The crossing at Schoeman Street and Hilda.
Schoeman Street, Grosvenor
• The crossing at Schoeman Street and Grosvenor.
Hijacking spots - Johannesburg:
Kelvin Street, CR Swart
• The corner of Kelvin Street and CR Swart.
Pretoria Road , CR Swart
• The corner of Pretoria Road and CR Swart.
Elgin Road, Pretoria Road
• The corner of Elgin Road and Pretoria Road.
Linksfield Road, N3
• Linksfield Road off ramp off the N3.
Booysens Road, M1
• Booysens Road off ramp off the M1.
Nelson Mandela Bridge
• The Nelson Mandela Bridge, be alert.
Wolmarans, Claim, Nugget
• Wolmarans between Claim and Nugget.
• The corner of Harrow and Saratoga.
• The corner of Harrow and Abel.
Houghton Drive, M1
• The Houghton Drive off ramp off the M1.
Jan Smuts Avenue, St Andrews
• The corner of Jan Smuts Avenue and St Andrews.
17th Street, Krause Street, Pageview
•The corner of 17th Street and Krause Street in Pageview.
Heidelberg Road, N17
• The Heidelberg Road Off ramp off the N17.
• Traffic lights on Kyalami Drive.
Beyers Naude, N1
• The Beyers Naude offramp off the N1 highway.
Sunninghill, N1, Rivonia
• Rivonia off ramp off the N1 highway in Sunninghill.
• Midrand road near Clayville Residents.
Grayston, Rivonia, 11th Street.
• The intersection of Grayston and Rivonia and the intersection of Grayston and 11th Street.
11th Avenue, Empire Road
• 11th Avenue and Empire Road off ramps.
Jan Smuts Avenue, William Nicol Drive, Hyde Park
• The Jan Smuts Avenue/ William Nicol Drive split in Hyde Park.
• Intersections on Witkoppen Road.
Bramley Precinct, Wynberg, Bramley, Marlboro, Kew
• Bramley Precinct, areas such as Wynberg, Bramley, Marlboro and Kew.
Yeoville Precinct, Yeoville, Bellevue, Bellevue East
• Yeoville Precinct, areas such as Yeoville,Bellevue and Bellevue East.
Norwood Precinct, Orange Grove, Highlands
• The Norwood Precinct, areas such as Orange Grove and Highlands.
Sandringham Precinct, Glenhazel, Lombardy East, Sandringham
• The Sandringham Precinct, areas such as Glenhazel, Lombardy East and Sandringham.
Parkview Precinct, 11th avenue, 7th Avenue
• The Parkview Precinct, areas between 10th and 11th avenue and 4th and 7th Avenue in Parkhurst.
Hillbrow Precinct, Upper Houghton, Killarney
• The Hillbrow Precinct, areas such as Upper Houghton and Killarney.
Rosebank Precinct, Saxonwold, Parkwood
• The Rosebank Precinct, areas such as Saxonwold and Parkwood.
Christiaan de Wet, Wilgerood road, Roodepoort
• The intersection between Christiaan de Wet and Wilgerood road in Roodepoort.
Louis Botha Avenue, M11, Hillbrow, Alexandra
• Louis Botha Avenue, the M11. Be aware at the traffic lights, especially between Hillbrow and Alexandra.
• Riviera off ramp coming off the M1.
Fairland Ex. 6, 11th Avenue, Fairland
• 11th Avenue in Fairland, near Fairland Ex. 6.
Alexandra, 1st Avenue, Pretoria Main road
• The corner of Pretoria Main road and 1st Avenue in Alexandra.
New road, N1, traffic lights
• New road off ramp coming off the N1, be aware at the traffic lights.
William Nichol, N1 highway
• William Nichol off ramp coming off the N1 highway.
Hijacking spots - Durban:
• Be aware along Alpine Road.
• Be aware of crossings on West Street.
Warwick Avenue , Smith Street
• The corner of Warwick Avenue and Smith Street.