Credit to the AA for the following post.
Over the last few months there have been several alarming stories in the media regarding motorists who have had an unpleasant experience with towing services and tow truck drivers. In some instances, the drivers’ cars were towed away without their permission and in other unfortunate cases, the tow truck drivers allegedly acted in an unprofessional manner which resulted in the motorists having to pay excessive fees for their vehicles to be towed.
While these stories might leave some motorists feeling apprehensive, especially when looking at quotations towing services offer, it’s important for drivers to remember that not all tow truck drivers are unscrupulous. There are accredited service providers who adhere to strict rules and ethics.
Tow truck drivers offer a valuable service and if you are in an accident or break down on the side of the road, they are there to help you. However, it is important for motorists to know their rights so they are not pressured into signing an agreement which they are not comfortable with.
Before embarking on any journey, it is always important to be prepared. One of the first questions to ask yourself is, “Will there be towing services near me?” This is vital so if you are searching for towing services Krugersdorp or towing services Vanderbijlpark, you will be able to find reliable assistance.
Next, it is important to know your rights when it comes to dealing with tow truck drivers. Here are some helpful tips to always keep in mind:
- Always carefully check any documentation before signing.
- It is your right to choose a tow truck driver who is a member of SATRA (South African Towing and Recovery Association) or UTASA (United Towing Association of South Africa).
- If you are insured, contact your insurance provider for advice or any other information you may require.
- If your insurance includes cover for towing, call the emergency assistance number.
- Make sure your vehicle is taken to a repair workshop which your insurance has approved.
- Make sure you get all the relevant details from the tow truck driver (his name, the name, contact number and physical address of the company he works for, as well as the tow truck registration number).
- Establish exactly how much it will cost to tow your vehicle before agreeing to anything.
- Remove all valuable from your vehicle before it is towed away.
- If you are a member of AA, you can contact them for assistance.