Have you been in a car accident and wondered what to do next? Many drivers on South African roads have found themselves in this difficult position. The South African Motor Body Repairers’ Association (SAMBRA) have developed the Accident SOS guide, that will assist you in the unfortunate instance that you are involved in a motor collision in the future.
Knowing what to do next will help you not only to manage this stressful situation but help you to take back the control that you may feel you have lost as a result of the accident. Here are 3 easy steps to follow.
Step 1 – Check
- Stop your vehicle (if possible), switch on your hazards and check the road and your immediate surroundings.
- Check if anyone was injured. If injuries occurred, do not move any vehicles or provide first-aid or medical assistance unless you are trained to do so.
- As safely as possible, take as many photos as you can – from different angles – of the original accident scene, before moving any cars.
- Wait until the authorities arrive to take charge of the situation.
Step 2 – Call
- In case of injury, call the National Emergency Number: 112 from your mobile phone (10177 from a landline). This 24/7 service operates nationwide and will dispatch the appropriate services to your location. Response times vary depending on where you are (e.g. city vs a remote area).
- It is a requirement to report the accident to the police within 24 hours. If you are not able to, due to the nature of your injuries or hospitalization, you must do so as soon as you can, together with a detailed explanation of the delay.
- Report the accident to your insurer, even if you are not planning to submit a claim.
Step 3 – Record
Take a record, from all parties involved in the accident;
- Full names & surnames
- ID numbers
- Contact numbers (home, mobile & business)
- Residential addresses
- Email addresses
- Vehicle registration numbers
- Make, model & colour of all vehicles involved
- Names and contact details of all emergency personnel on the scene including police and traffic police officials, tow truck drivers and medical personnel
- Accident details including the exact location, time of the accident, road conditions & visibility
Visit SAMBRA’s Accident SOS page for some more tips and to find an accredited motor body repairer nearest to you, here.
More articles like this: